]

On September 14, 2010, I was diagnosed with Acute Myeloid Leukemia / Megakaryocytic or AML M7. My prognosis is that I will make a full recovery with no long term side effects. I am so grateful for family, friends and angels that are surrounding me each and every day of this process. I love all of you! I hope you find my posts interesting as I share a little piece of me and some insights along this life changing journey.


Jessie - Age 2

Yeah - I'm pretty special!

Friday, April 8, 2011

The Bell at Primary Children's Hospital



There is a short, special ceremony that takes place at Primary Children's Hospital when you are discharged from your last round of chemo.  All the staff comes together with the family to celebrate that your journey through chemo and cancer has come to an end.  I can't tell you how emotional it is to be at the "end" of this journey.  There are songs and lots of clapping, cheering and tears.  The staff has become family.  They have taken care of Jessie for the most part of six months and she has them all wrapped around her little finger.  The inscription on the bell reads:

Ring this bell
Three times real well
Its toll to clearly say

My treatments done
This course is run
Now I am on my way

Jessie is indeed on her way.  My beautiful, spirited, amazing little girl has come through her course to be on the other side of cancer.  Remission.  It is a wonderful and stressful place.  Jessie's prognosis still remains at 80+%.  The doctors do not expect the leukemia to come back and will monitor her for three years.  Being the Mom - I am not sure that I'll ever look at a bruise the same way again...  I have a lot of emotions when I think through this journey that we've been on but I am mostly thankful that my angel baby is still with us.  She touches everyone around her in the most amazing way and I can't imagine life without her.  I am thankful that if she had to have cancer - she had one that is known and can be treated successfully.  I am not sure that is the same as loving this trial but that's as close as I can come.  I am thankful for my Heavenly Father's support and love.  This was shown in countless ways.  He is aware of my little family and our struggles.  We are stronger coming out the other side.  Trials teach you, forge you, mold you, bends you and you find humility and love to support you.  I have more empathy than I had before and genuine kindness (at any level) touches me deeply.  Here's to making it to this point, Jessie Bee!!  May you continue to be cancer free!   

1 comment:

  1. stumbled onto your blog today. What an inspiration you and your daughter are! I hope she continues to be healthy. What a beauty she is.

    ReplyDelete


Yep...my parents love me!!

Me and my Daddy

just precious!!

It's okay to bite on this, right??!!

Jessie with her cousin Kyson, playing Doctor :)